Monday 2 May 2011

Ikan Bakar Pari "Stingray" @ TIP TOP Ikan Bakar

Long weekend of Labour Day..Many took opportunity to hold wedding event…tired of eating Nasi Minyak or Beriyani these days. After visited one of my wife’s colleague marriage at Pontian…decided to catch a movie at GSC Pelangi. Have to wait another 1.5hours before next showing, so cancel the planned. Maybe tomorrow will come again. 

On the way back home, need to relish myself to clear all this beriyani and rendang tasted that still lingered in my throat. My wife wants to eat Ikan Bakar…there’s no other place I knew that served best tasted of Ikan Bakar other than TIP TOP Ikan Bakar or sometime called JB Ikan bakar.

At the corner of the Stall
Ikan Bakar TiP TOP has been around probably more than 35 years…I had been patronized this stall since I was young together with my late grandfather, then my late father..Now I have my own family and still continue to visit this stall. TIP TOP has consistently remained the tasted.

They used to be at Tepian Tebrau between Sultanah Aminah Hospital and Sultan Abu Bakar Mosque. Then they moved to parking lot at Dataran Bandaraya infront of Hyatt Hotel now Thistle Hotel. Finally they moved to New Makan Place at Jalan Mohd Amin behind Straight View Hotel or nearby English College. 

My Respectful College, Long Live English College
There are three stalls I think are alliances.. TIP TOP, YONG YONG and YONG. They moved and located side by side together. TIP TOP concentrates on Ikan Bakar and etc, Gerai Yong Yong on drinks and Gerai Yong on Sotong Kang Kung, Tauhu Bakar and Kerang Bakar.



Since my stomach still full, we just order side dishes only without rice. Ikan Bakar Pari, Fried Baby Crab and Balitung or Siput Sedut Sambal.

Addicted, Ikan Bakar Pari "Stingray"
You can have many types of fish like Mackerel, Red Snapper, Sea Bass, Cencaru or Torpedo Scud in English but my all time favourite still the Ikan Pari or Stingray. Beside the freshness of the fish the only reason why this stall is really distinctive is their sambal. The mouth watering sambal is worth mentioning.  The Ikan Pari is grilled with fresh chillies, onion, garlic, cencaluk and other things that make up their secret recipe. Every time we pick up the Stingray flesh and sambal and slowly munch, the taste sensation is truly out of this world. 

Crunchy Fried Baby Crab

This tiny little crab gave new sense of flavor.  The crab superbly fried until crispy like keropok but still we can taste the flesh of crab. I still remembered when my late father ordered this dish. Can this be eaten?  Baby crab taste better when dip with their sweet chilli sauce. Very difficult to find this dish somewhere else…definitely must try.

Balitong @ Siput Sedut Sambal
The sambal for this dish is not the same with Ikan Bakar. It’s seems to be combination of grated garlic, ginger, black pepper, chillies and other ingredients and grilled together with Siput. The thick sauce was so tempted. You might lick the sauce during sucking the siput’s flesh.Those who want to improve your kissing skill please do try this dish. 

Still have so many dishes to try, next time will go again with my crews then we will have a seafood fiesta.
Pick your own fish 
Fish Price Depends on Market Price & Size, Normally Ikan Bakar Pari – RM15 (Big portion), A Plate of Fried Baby Crab and Siput Sedut Sambal – RM10.
Tip Top Ikan Bakar,
#1, Food/Hawker Stall,
Jalan Mohd. Amin,
Johor Bahru




No comments:

Post a Comment